Friday, May 8, 2009

Standing in Alignment:
What will you stand FOR?


I have recently been confronted about world conditions and how aligning in the heart is an impractical stance. A kind gentleman called in to my radio broadcast and went on at length on how the world has so much wrong with it, that we MUST stand against poverty, disease, injustice, and all of the wrongdoings that are so prevalent at this time. He said that, for him, the avatars like Christ and Buddha were warriors first, and that we must fight with and for the Light.

At one time, I was a member of the security team that ‘protected’ my spiritual teacher. We were self-proclaimed “Warriors of Light”. I am a longtime martial artist, with a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. I had my own Dojo (training school) for 12 years. I taught young people (mostly women) how to stand in their power. I did NOT teach them to EVER stand AGAINST.... ANYTHING. To quote the film “The Karate Kid” ~ ‘never prevent war by fighting in one’. This is truth. This is real. In the face of all that needs to change on this beautiful planet of ours, and I agree there is much... nothing will happen unless we change our concept of what it is to be a warrior.

Dan Millman, wrote of this challenge, in his book “Way of the Peaceful Warrior”, a novel about confronting the false personas, the false ‘demons’ within and moving completely into the flow.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Peaceful-Warrior-Changes-Lives/dp/1932073205/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241807772&sr=8-4

I, too, confronted within myself the inner pacifist, the one who would walk away rather than confront - even if it meant sacrificing the truth. I went to martial arts training to correct this imbalance. I was once mocked in a black belt class for ‘backing up’ and not countering an attack. I had to learn to stand FOR my own heart, my own energy, my own strength and safety... and also never to threaten those things in another, if it could possibly be prevented.

There is an old saying in the martial arts. So old, in fact, that none know its origins. “Hold peace rather than conflict. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. Kill only as a last resort, for all of life is precious ~ and none can be replaced.”

To feel that life is a battle and we, as light-holders, are obligated to go to war is the old paradigm, the old cycle that was driven by the energies of competition, conflict and violent resolution.

Nothing could be further from Truth. I was raised to ‘choose love’ even in the face of the most challenging circumstances. I also, like all of you, had no real basis of understanding for what that meant. Sometimes I would ‘choose love’ through clenched teeth, wanting to speak my truth but knowing that if I did so I would be hurt or someone else would. Other times I would ‘choose love’ when I was really smarting from something someone had said. For intuitives, a verbal slam is every bit as painful as a physical blow. I heard someone say recently that they would rather ‘take the hit’ than verbal abuse, because “it is over quicker that way”.

The warrior archetype is changing. It must. This is necessary. A peaceful warrior is not vengeful. A warrior of the heart does not carry the energy of the ‘avenging angel’, of ‘win-lose’ or of positional hierarchy. A warrior of the heart cannot stand ‘against’ but must make the choice to stand ‘FOR’, in peace, in fortitude, in forbearance, and in strength.

The archetype of the new warrior is that of courage to look within; courage to face the defended positions in consciousness that limit our perceptions, our awareness and our ability to recognize and accept that truth is subjective, that truth can be found in all cultures, all forms, and in every... single... heart. There is not one soul incarnate or out-of-body that is not divinely connected to truth at the core.

The world must change. Yes. And violence can never again be thought of nor held energetically as the ‘only viable option’. War is not a solution. It is an archaic, sad course of action, for a world that continues to choose ignorance and blame.

I have worked long and hard within myself to transcend past versions of warrior. I have ‘fought the battle within’. I am NOT a pacifist. HOWEVER ~ I agree with Mother Teresa, who said:
“ I was once asked why I don’t participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I will be there.”

Be well my sister and fellow warriors. May the love of the Divine Mother find you, and may you lay your weapons at Her feet.

---------------------------------------------------

Artwork provided by Eric Rankin ~ the renowned author of "The Aquarians: An Ancient Mayan Prophecy—A Modern Phenomenon

To purchase his book - http://www.amazon.com/Aquarians-Ancient-Prophecy%C2%97-Modern-Phenomenon/dp/0595443028

To purchase one of his Amazing Peace Stickers ~ http://www.thebeachpartyguy.com

1 comment:

Mynde Mayfield said...

Mary,
I agree whole-being-ly (new words for new times).

I was especially aware of this last November during all the gay "Marriage March's" and protests against sexually oriented discrimination. I was very conscious about holding a space of "what can I be 'for' here?" since many people stood in anger and protest.

I did participate at several events and held a sign that quoted then President-Elect "Unyielding Hope!"

Even though there were times I wondered if I was "in the right place" ...am I joining with their antagonism? Or am I actually a part of another consciousness disguised in quieter individuals like myself, who silently held spaces for "Marriage Equality?"

Interesting times! Thank you for this post and your insightfulness.

I am a Peaceful Warrior :)